10.1.13

5.2’s troll councillor and models of the future

After a minor spat with life I’m working on a proper blog post, but I saw the new model for the Jungle Troll Councillor (which you can view in 3D here on Wowhead if you haven’t already) and had to say something.

This is the first time since Therazane that I’ve looked at a new female model and loved it unabashedly. Look, look!


Abs!


Veins!


Cellulite!

Okay, fine, maybe it’s not cellulite, but she certainly doesn’t look like she has an apple for an arse, which is more than I can say for some models.


Well, there are a lot more of these than I anticipated.

This new troll may well be part of the Council of Elders fight, seeing as the model is referred to as a councillor. I’m glad to see a troll woman potentially in a position of power. The troll race is not known for equality between the genders, and we could really do with a pick-me-up following the disappointment of the Thunder King’s consorts.

(I was writing a post on that, but it’s a bit late now and Apple Cider Mage covers most of it here: The Problem with Twins.)

The model is fantastic either way. She’s ripped. She actually looks like a member of a warrior race, unlike the stick-thin, featureless lady-trolls of old.

I’m hopeful that this is a taste of things to come: that the impending revamps of the old player races are going to be similarly considerate of the issues flagged up by the community over years of play.

Which brings me around to the things I most look forward to seeing fixed when these new player models come in.

1. Forsaken joints

I’m part of the crowd that quite likes the bare knees and elbows (although I’d still like the option to turn both off for some characters, as I feel the skin tones, faces and the jerky way they run makes them distinct from humans already) but I dislike how poorly they’ve been implemented.

Tip the camera low and you can see straight through Nyxrinne’s elbow, all the way up through her arm to her ear. It’s no better around the knees, as the screenshot shows. Big boots clip straight through the bones as well, although I recognise this is an issue even for those with proper padding around their kneecaps.

2. Hair

Although I love all my classic characters dearly, they don’t half have some terrible hair issues. I’m talking classic tree terrible.

Terrible.

It’s not that I dislike the styles. I don’t. It’s just the bald spots and the jagged pixels that I’d like to see- well, never again. I’m outright excited over hair now, though. Look at what they can do!

3. Faces

Some characters have far too few face designs to pick from. The choices they do have aren’t always all that distinct, either. Tauren are definitely the worst off in this respect, although gnomes aren’t that far behind.

The trouble with fixing this is that, ideally, I’d like more range at the character creation screen, but how would that be implemented in a way that would affect existing characters?

Theoretically the model-updating patch might send affected races back to the character creation screen to explore the new options, but that presents two immediate issues: jealousy amongst those races who already have plenty of options but no chance to switch, and an undermining of the paid character alteration service. Will Blizzard put effort into an endeavour that might reduce their takings in the subsequent months?

Maybe I should settle for slightly shaggier looks for furry tauren. They pulled that off pretty well for the taunka and the yaungol, after all.

Anyone else feeling a little bit inspired by this glimpse of the future?

7 comments:

  1. The trolls look amazing! I love that you cans see them breathing the 3D model! If they revamp trolls to look like that I'm going Horde (having said that I'm sure there is a dark side to me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Horde will welcome you with popcorn and front row seats to the public screening of Garrosh: Fool of Fools.


    I've heard some speculation that the model updates will be released in waves (I can't find the blue post, but I'm sure I read they're working on the dwarves at the moment). If that's the case, and they all end up looking as good/nearly as good as that troll, I anticipate bouncing between factions and races like something rubber...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very tempted by a Horde t-shirt earlier - it was cheap in game & had Garrosh on it :)
    Talking to my boyfriend, he seems to think that the models are being worked on and is under the impression that the human & orc models are done/near-done. I must admit I refuse to have a human as I think they look that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow buff girl trolls? That looks so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am late to the party per usual!

    I suspect that Old School races will transition to new models that have the same "options" chosen as their current form (i.e., if you have the old troll fauxhawk, you get the new troll fauxhawk, if you've got the old Forsaken bondage straps, you get the new Forsaken bondage straps), and anybody who wants whatever new accessories/hairdos they might be offering (WTB more Forsaken hairdos!) will have to go to the barber, same as anyone else.

    I also suspect Worgen wouldn't get to choose what their human form looks like - it should automatically select based on their current Worgen appearance.

    As far as the jealousy goes should Old School races get to go back to the char selection screen, I feel the situation is something like this:

    - If you are playing an Old School race that did not just get a new model, your time will come, so hush already. (A girl can dream.)
    - If you are playing as a goblin (which people really ought to be, says a goblin player), shut up. Seriously. Tauren have like four facial options and three hairdos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am late to the party per usual!

    I suspect that Old School races will transition to new models that have the same "options" chosen as their current form (i.e., if you have the old troll fauxhawk, you get the new troll fauxhawk, if you've got the old Forsaken bondage straps, you get the new Forsaken bondage straps), and anybody who wants whatever new accessories/hairdos they might be offering (WTB more Forsaken hairdos!) will have to go to the barber, same as anyone else.

    I also suspect Worgen wouldn't get to choose what their human form looks like - it should automatically select based on their current Worgen appearance.

    As far as the jealousy goes should Old School races get to go back to the char selection screen, I feel the situation is something like this:

    - If you are playing an Old School race that did not just get a new model, your time will come, so hush already. (A girl can dream.)
    - If you are playing as a goblin (which people really ought to be, says a goblin player), shut up. Seriously. Tauren have like four facial options and three hairdos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect the same re: getting like for like as the upgrades are rolled out. Which does make me a little sad if Blizzard use it as an excuse not to bring out completely new options for some of the more facially-challenged races, but I'm alright with otherwise.


    Goblins really do have the widest range of looks about (and the best - which I say even as someone who only has one goblin). Worgen might have a little more room to complain, which I'm sure they'll wield with true forum skill.


    I feel the Forsaken have quite a good set of hairdos, mind you! I mean, if range is what we're judging by. If your Forsaken wants to maintain the illusion of normality... perhaps the choices are a little more limited.

    ReplyDelete